Thursday 14 February 2013

99. Freedom

With my eyes to the ground I live life within bondage
seeing only the feet of the malietoa
Accidentally I look up at his face
and instantly taken to be whipped and be beaten

Deep in a dream and in my dna
I see a moment in time, some one thousand years
where Polynesia is centrally ruled
from Tongatapu or the Kingdom of Tonga

Descendants of tohunga from around the Pacific
are born into slavery to carry out rites
Inverted pyramids go deep underground
born on the backs of a lost tribe of Israel?

The gardens and wives of chiefs and of nobles
along with the women who bear chiefly slaves
are tilled very carefully by their very own servants
till new generations are born once again

And to this day have the bloodlines remained
albeit enforced with anguish and pain
where all of our gifts were nurtured as well
but born out of servitude or some sort of hell

*Malietoa (Tongan Chief)

No comments:

Post a Comment